Re: [TowerTalk] LMR degradation

To: TOWERTALK@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] LMR degradation
From: Cqtestk4xs@aol.com
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2013 11:42:22 -0400 (EDT)
Back in the early 2000s I had a long conversation with the guys at  Times.
The ultra flex on many of my jumpers had cracked after only a  couple of
years in the FL sun.  His response was the ultraflex was not  supposed to be
used outside.

He offered to replace the stuff with regular 400 but I never took him  up
on it.

I use the regular LMR 400 on all my jumpers and have had zero  problems.

Bill K4XS

In a message dated 3/26/2013 1:25:47 P.M. Coordinated Universal Time,
k8ri@rogerhalstead.com writes:

On  3/25/2013 2:31 AM, Jim Brown wrote:
> On 3/24/2013 9:42 PM, Jim Hoge  wrote:
>> Today I discovered that I have had environmental ingress  beneath the
>> outer jacket of some ~8 year old  LMR-400.
>
> In the latest (I think) version of his excellent  Managing Interstation
> Interference," W2VJN notes that he observed  degradation in the measured
> performance of stubs made of LMR400 that  had been sitting in his garage
> for a bit less than a decade. He seemed  to think it was due todegraded
> contact between the foil and braid  shields. This was written several
> years ago. He may have more to say  about it by now.

We've known for years the UF versions of the LMR  cables deteriorate out
in the elements. It follows that they'd possibly do  so with age as well.

I found that the braid had almost disentegrated in  some pieces of
LMR400UF where the jacket "appeared" to syill be in good  shape.  I
thought perhaps the jacket had become porous, but perhaps  not?I wonder
which LMR400 he's talking about.

73

Roger  (K8RI)