Re: [TowerTalk] LMR degradation

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] LMR degradation
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2013 15:22:57 -0400
On 3/25/2013 2:31 AM, Jim Brown wrote:
On 3/24/2013 9:42 PM, Jim Hoge wrote:
Today I discovered that I have had environmental ingress beneath the
outer jacket of some ~8 year old LMR-400.

In the latest (I think) version of his excellent Managing Interstation
Interference," W2VJN notes that he observed degradation in the measured
performance of stubs made of LMR400 that had been sitting in his garage
for a bit less than a decade. He seemed to think it was due todegraded
contact between the foil and braid shields. This was written several
years ago. He may have more to say about it by now.

We've known for years the UF versions of the LMR cables deteriorate out in the elements. It follows that they'd possibly do so with age as well.

I found that the braid had almost disentegrated in some pieces of LMR400UF where the jacket "appeared" to syill be in good shape. I thought perhaps the jacket had become porous, but perhaps not?I wonder which LMR400 he's talking about.

73

Roger (K8RI)

73, Jim K9YC