Re: [TowerTalk] Magnetic 304 SS- Huh?

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Magnetic 304 SS- Huh?
From: Al Kozakiewicz <akozak@hourglass.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 14:46:24 -0400
300 series stainless steel alloys are austenitic; 400 series are martensitic.
300 series is formulated with nickel and a higher amount of chromium in the
composition than 400 and are more corrosion resistant.  Unlike the 400 series,
the 300 series cannot be heat treated (well, technically you can heat treat
anything, but it will have little effect on the physical properties of this
steel).

Magnetism is determined mostly by the crystalline structure of the alloy.  The
introduction of nickel promotes the formation of austentite which is non
magnetic.  However, cold working creates pockets of martensite which is
magnetic.  304 is especially prone to this formation when cold worked; wire and
cable making is all about cold working steel.  Wire is formed by drawing steel
rod though progressively smaller dies.

I think you would be hard pressed to find any 304 alloy stainless wire that is
not magnetic unless it was annealed after working.

Al
AB2ZY