Re: [TowerTalk] Magnetic 304 SS- Huh?

To: Brian Alsop <alsopb@nc.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Magnetic 304 SS- Huh?
From: Bob K6UJ <k6uj@pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 16:52:44 -0700
Brian,

304SS has a higher ferrous percentage than other higher grade SS alloys and is
fairly magnetic.
316SS for comparison is almost completely non ferrous and is non magnetic.
When I buy SS hardware for antenna projects I always check with a magnet to see
the magnetism if any.
It is a quick way to gauge the SS alloy.  304SS will rust, not nearly as bad as
carbon steel but it will rust.
It depends on your application what grade of SS you need.  You pay a premium
for the higher grades like 316SS.

Bob
K6UJ