Re: [TowerTalk] remote tuner Vs lumped constants

To: "K8RI" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] remote tuner Vs lumped constants
From: "Rick Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2013 10:53:24 -0700
K8RI wrote:

> Who uses open wire line these days?  It would be very inconvenient here.
>
> 73,
>
> Roger (K8RI)

I have 600 feet of 450 ohm OWL to my 160 meter transmit vertical.
I used to have 1000 feet of it coming from my old shack location that
was farther away.  4 AWG stranded THHW aluminum on 5 inch centers
suspended every 25 feet.  No intermediate spacers.  0.1 dB loss
at 1.8 MHz including the 50 ohm unbalanced to 450 ohm balanced
transformers at the ends.  I wouldn't say it was all that inconvenient
in my situation where it goes in a straight line.  "Someday" I
am planning to replace it with some 7/8 inch hardline I got for
nothing.

Rick N6RK