Re: [TowerTalk] remote tuner Vs lumped constants

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] remote tuner Vs lumped constants
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2013 11:12:30 -0700
On 7/25/2013 10:53 AM, Rick Karlquist wrote:
I have 600 feet of 450 ohm OWL to my 160 meter transmit vertical.

Yes. If you ever have the opportunity to visit one of the vintage short wave shore stations still in existence you'll see a LOT of open wire coax line feeding rhombics. One typical form of construction is four wires in a small square for the center conductor and four more for the shield in a larger square, all held in place by U-shaped brackets at the top of posts. This sort of construction would be used for RX, and somewhat heavier for TX. There are several of these stations still in existence along the Pacific coast. Here's one you can tour by appointment.

73, Jim K9YC