Re: [TowerTalk] Tex Com LMR-600 Connectors

To: K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tex Com LMR-600 Connectors
From: TexasRF@aol.com
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2013 17:44:30 -0400 (EDT)
Roger, I know you know this but will mention adding a two or three inch
piece of heat shrink (like the Times connectors) will add a lot of strength to
 the cable/connector interface.

As far as water getting through the threaded part, one should never use any
 connector outside without water protection. It is not optional if you want
long  connector life.

The 3M linerless rubber tape works very well and is available at Home Depot
 or Lowes most anywhere. We carry Diamond and Times Microwave versions of
the  rubber tape; they also work well but not any better than the 3M product.

Thanks for your  recent order!

73,
Gerald K5GW
CEO Texas Towers

In a message dated 8/8/2013 1:46:55 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net writes:

On  8/4/2013 4:28 PM, rfman45 wrote:

> Texas Towers has a  compression UHF connector for LMR 600, the CC600UM.
I'd like to know
>  if anyone has used this connector, its ease of use, etc.

I received  some today. These appear to be the same or very much like the
ones I've  been using, available from Davis as well.

They are a very simple "clamp  type" of connector with a solder type
brass center pin that appears to be  gold plated.   The center pin is not
captive so you need to  measure and cut carefully. The clamp (similar to
an "N-type) gives a good  weather seal to the jacket, but they are still
UHF with little resistance  to water ingress at the threaded connection.

They are Nickle plated  which stands up better in the weather here, but
when properly weather  proofed none of the connector is exposed anyway.
Not my choice  for  above HF, but have worked well on HF.

As I use them (UHF) on 160 and 75  QRO where the SWR can get quite high I
ream the center bulkhead out a bit  with an end mill to increase the
clearance.  It probably does little,  but I've shorted a number of N
type. Whether due to lightening or power,  I'm not sure.

At any rate it's nice to see some UHF connectors  available for LMR-600.
For a while only type N were available.
The only  fault I find with these is they do not handle sideways pressure
well and  tend to have the threaded collar break off.  IOW Make sure to
come  straight off the connector, or at least have no side  pressure.

73

Roger (K8RI)