Re: [TowerTalk] Tex Com LMR-600 Connectors

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tex Com LMR-600 Connectors
From: K8RI <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Fri, 09 Aug 2013 23:24:38 -0400
<snip>
Look, I purchase and use thousands of dollars of heat shrink a year to
satisfy customers.

On my own station, I normally don't use it, unless to improve strain
relief when needed.

Please consider the possibility that your opinion has not been informed
by proper training in other methods.

I know I've not had "formal" training in any weather proofing, (zip, nada, none) but I have tried most, follow directions well, and never had a leaker except for the time the lightening blew off the weather proofing. That was with the taping method, but any method would have been blown off. I assume you have had the same experience. That we prefer different methods of weather proofing is hardly a reason to get upset. If you purchase thousands of dollars worth for customers it must be a legit method.

However my days of taping connectors are over, Reverse winding with sticky side out under tension is really difficult with one hand<:-)) and the tower climbing is now out as well. Hence the new crank up LM470.

I think about the inexperienced weather proofing connectors and figure, simpler is better.

73,

Roger (K8RI)