Re: [TowerTalk] Tex Com LMR-600 Connectors

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tex Com LMR-600 Connectors
From: K8RI <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Thu, 08 Aug 2013 20:27:16 -0400
On 8/8/2013 7:32 PM, Steve Maki wrote:
On 8/8/2013 7:21 PM, K8RI wrote:

I'm not concerned with what the connectors look like after the water
proofing is removed as it is only cosmetic.  As far as the hot melt glue
from the Heat Shrink, it's just more of what new heat shrink applies.

I've asked why people care, but have never received an answer other than

If you're asking why someone likes to see a shiny connector after
removing years-old weatherproofing, it's proof there's been no moisture
ingress.

To me, all that goo is proof it stayed sealed.
Water leaking between a plastic later and a Nickle plated connector for a month or two won't leave a mark, unless the water is contaminated as in living down wind from a power plant.

73

Roger (K8RI)
To me the *best* weatherproofing is that which is very easy to remove
AND has provided a hermetic seal.

The next best is that which is difficult to remove and has provided a
hermetic deal.

And then there are various methods which don't provide a hermetic seal,
which don't deserve consideration.

-Steve K8LX