Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn 25G

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn 25G
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2013 14:18:04 -0700
Except if the rope is low stretch, e.g. Arimid, dacron/polyester and kevlar are alternatives. Some stretch less than steel. DO NOT use nylon or polypro. Since these ropes are temporary you don't need to worry about UV or fatigue failures. Check the West Marine or New England Rope sites for specs and the multitude of choices. A very low stretch 3/8 is plenty strong enough for temporary guys above the last or base guy, so get lengths long enough for your higher sections, and you will be much more comfortable. These fibers have replaced wire rope in nearly all sailboat low/near zero stretch applications.

Low stretch line in your gin pole is nice as it permits positioning the tower sections without stretch induced oscillations. I use 250' of NER Sta-Set double braid polyester in 7/16", low stretch and good grip for the hands and fits my R2545 ginpole sheave. Works for up to 110' towers, and no spin with double braid.

Grant  KZ1W