Re: [TowerTalk] OH8X 80-160 monster tower collapses

To: Tower Talk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] OH8X 80-160 monster tower collapses
From: Roger D Johnson <n1rj@roadrunner.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2013 13:25:48 -0500
My wife is from Miami and she thinks a blizzard is two snowflakes in the air simultaneously!

73, Roger (an old Cold Warrior)

On 12/11/2013 9:20 AM, Patrick Greenlee wrote:
Duty at Minot, Loring, Thule, etc. gave a whole new meaning to "Cold Warrior!"

At Minot AFB the lowest temp I was out in was -47F, not wind chill, straight thermometer. Minus 40 was routine. Wind chill was reported on the base's dial up weather report as the time on average it took for exposed flesh to freeze. They reported this down to 10 seconds and then just reported it as less than 10 seconds. One of our hi-pri considerations was NOT exposing flesh.

After leaving the USAF and heading south as far as I could go and not leave the country I went to San Diego State University and during a real cold snap there was a very light snow, just a few small flakes. Everyone in my calculus class including the instructor, EXCEPT ME ran to the window in awe to see show. Having just left a 3 winter tour in Minot I was not impressed.

Patrick NJ5G

---

--
Remember the Liberty (AGTR-5)