Re: [TowerTalk] Concrete prices

To: "Rex Turvin" <turvin2009@yahoo.com>, "Gary \\\\\\\"Joe\\\\\\\" Mayfield" <gary_mayfield@hotmail.com>, "'towertalk reflector'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Concrete prices
From: "Patrick Greenlee" <patrick_g@windstream.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Dec 2013 12:56:04 -0600
Yeah, I just installed my first antenna tower. It isa a crank-up/tilt-over. A friend and I used my small electric mixer and bags of Ready-Crete. You better be ambitious and handy to do that. Luckily my friend is 10 yrs or so younger than I. We used my tractor with pallet forks on the FEL to handle the pallets of bags and elevate them to the height of the mixere to cut down on lifting. Still, it is a slow tiring process. This was the same week I celebrated my 70th birthday. I have trenched to the next two tower sites and am putting in a pair of 4 inch conduits from site to site (141 ft apart on centers) I will be calling the cement company for all pours over about 1/2 yard in the future. I am learning that just because I can doesn't mean I should.

One of the two remaining towers will be a DIY copy of my Hy=Gain Hy=Tower using Rohn 25 (4 10's and a 9 top section topped with aluminum tube.. The Hy-Gain manual calls for one cubic yard for their version free standing but I think I will go larger. It has a tilt base. The other tower is 14 feet on centers where the three legs hit the ground. It was originally on three piers about 18 in in dia and 7 feet deep with a section of steel tube 4 inch ID 1/4 wall in the piers connecting to the tower legs with bolted together welded on flanges . I will go at least as large in dia and some deeper. unless I hit solid rock. I'm pretty sure I can get 6-7 feet before rock. This was originally a 100 ft tall tower with a wind generator on it and I'm using the bottom 40 ft as a base for a crank-up tilt-over tower to be selected later. I was surprised to see so little concrete under such a large tower but a mech eng friend assure me it is fine since I don't intend to use its two hinged legs to tilt it over.

I pay about $100 per yard delivered with a short load charge for less than 4 yards at an independent company. I will try to pour multiple items at the same time to keep from paying a short load charge. I have the equivalent of a small back hoe (not attached to tractor) for digging holes and can auger holes up to 12 inch dia and about 6 ft deep. I may use multiple piers at each tower leg for the 40 ft tower and do them myself rather than a single large pier for each leg. My mech eng friend did some calcs and holding power isn't a problem as 3 of my piers will hold better than the single one used per leg originally.

Patrick

-----Original Message----- From: Rex Turvin