Re: [TowerTalk] Wired Anemometer for Tower?

To: Steve Jones <n6sj@earthlink.net>, TowerTalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Wired Anemometer for Tower?
From: Rick Kourey <rick.kourey@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2014 14:40:52 -0400
Steve,

FWIW, for the past 7-years I have operated the Davis Pro-2 "Wireless"
Weather Station near my radio and tower with absolutely no problems and no
RFI.  I was very concerned about the possibility of RF interfering with my
unit.  So I just took a chance and purchased the Davis and I have not
encountered any problems.

I run no less than 1,500 watts output and one amp is capable of 4,400 watts
output.  Neither of these power levels has ever caused a problem.  And I
have four monitoring heads with my Davis Pro-2 Wireless Weather Station in
four different rooms.

Rick Kourey (K4KL)
Marvin/Charlotte, NC

<http://www.davisnet.com/weather/products/vantagepro.asp>
On Sunday, April 27, 2014, Steve Jones <n6sj@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Can any of you recommend a wired anemometer or weather station unit?
>
> I want to install an anemometer to monitor the wind speed at the top of my
> tower.  All I can find online are wireless units.  On this reflector I have
> seen a number of bad reviews of wireless weather sensors, because their
> little wifi transceivers get damaged by the RF from a ham antenna.  I have
> spare CAT5 cable at the base of the tower available.
>
> 73,
>
> Steve
> N6SJ

Rick Kourey (K4KL)