Re: [TowerTalk] FW: In Shack Tuner Vs. Remote Tuner for Multi-Band Anten

To: jim@audiosystemsgroup.com, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] FW: In Shack Tuner Vs. Remote Tuner for Multi-Band Antennas
From: Tony <dxdx@optonline.net>
Date: Sun, 04 May 2014 15:44:09 -0400
Jim:

Bottom line -- all band dipoles and OCF antennas are a very bad idea in today's world where RF trash is everywhere. I view them as an unnatural act. Yes, you can load a random dipole fed with high Z line and get it to accept power, but the pattern will vary widely with frequency (lots of nulls), and because you can't choke the feedline, it will pick up lots of noise. There ain't no free lunch. Resonant antennas fed with coax rock. The others "roll."

73, Jim K9YC

How does the ladder line doublet antenna effect the patterns on different bands? I suspect that the patterns can get somewhat chaotic on the upper HF bands with say an 80 through 10 meter doublet?

It seems that the most effective multi-band solution is to go with a fan dipole, which in my case, would be for 80, 40 and 30 meters.

Tony