Re: [TowerTalk] In Shack Tuner Vs. Remote Tuner for Multi-Band Antennas

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] In Shack Tuner Vs. Remote Tuner for Multi-Band Antennas
From: Tom Osborne <w7why@frontier.com>
Date: Mon, 05 May 2014 09:17:30 -0700
Hi Matt

Isn't that effect present in any antenna (except maybe a vertical)?

If you put up a dipole, there are 2 main lobes and off the ends is a big null. I just don't see any antenna that is going to be perfect. In order to cover many directions with dipoles or fan dipoles, you are going to have to put up 2 for each band at right angles to each other. If I want an antenna to cover NE/SW, a dipole will do that, but will have nulls NW/SE, (assuming it is high enough to have lobes and not shooting straight up) so now I have to put up 2 antennas.

I still can't see any disadvantage to an 80 meter (or longer) dipole fed with ladder or window line, except maybe a bit more noise on the ladder line. Every antenna has advantages and disadvantages - you just have to weigh them out.

I have an antenna that is about 190 feet long, up in a tree about 90 feet fed with window line. I also have an 80 meter elevated vertical with the base at 6 feet with 5 radials. For 40 I have a full sized delta loop in a tree up about 70 feet. The center fed antenna works better in most cases than both of those antennas doing an A/B test, and I can use it on 160, 80 and 40. But, I am not using a tuner with a funky built-in balun to try and match the antenna.

I just don't think there is one perfect solution for just 1 antenna.  73
Tom W7WHY