[TowerTalk] FW: In Shack Tuner Vs. Remote Tuner for Multi-Band Antennas

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] FW: In Shack Tuner Vs. Remote Tuner for Multi-Band Antennas
From: "Matt" <maflukey@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 6 May 2014 04:19:28 -0500
Hi Tom,

Thanks for your comments & I agree with you that all antennas are certainly
compromises of various parameters and no one antenna can do it all -
certainly one of the mantras of our hobby.   I response to Tony's question I
was wanting to describe in some detail how the total sum amount of
directional coverage gets progressively worse as more "holes" in the
coverage develop with higher order length antennas.

>From 2004-2006 I used nothing but wire antennas (five of them that I
remember) and several that were fed with ladder line worked very well.  The
shorter ones could easily cover 14-28 mhz and the longer ones could
reasonably cover one band below and above the fundamental frequency within
the limitations previously described.  I did not experience the noise issues
that one of the other posters brought up - I suspect that may have a lot to
do with the installation (how cleanly one can route the lines out of the
shack) and the amount of local noise sources present in the near field of
the station.

73
Matt
KM5VI