[TowerTalk] In Shack Tuner Vs. Remote Tuner for Multi-Band Antennas

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] In Shack Tuner Vs. Remote Tuner for Multi-Band Antennas
From: Tony <dxdx@optonline.net>
Date: Fri, 02 May 2014 19:45:18 -0400
All:

Need some advise on getting the best performance out of a multi-band (80 through 20) wire antenna and tuner. My first option is the in-shack auto-tuner feeding a doublet with a short run of coax and remote balun. The alternative option was to go with a remote auto-tuner mounted near the antenna feeding an 80 meter dipole with ladder line. There would be an 80 foot run of coax from the rig to the remote tuner. I can add dipoles to the remote setup if need be.

I have a 500 watt amplifier so I was considering the 500 watt Elecraft in-shack auto-tuner. The MFJ remote tuner (600 watt version) is reasnably priced, but unfortunately, didn't get good reviews.

Regarding doublets: I plan on using one for portable operation cut for 30 meters with an Elecraft KX3 QRP rig and internal tuner. Any tips on the best ladder line and dipole lengths would be appreciated.

Thanks...

Tony