[TowerTalk] Rohn Tower Bolts - Wrench sizes

To: "TowerTalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rohn Tower Bolts - Wrench sizes
From: Keith Hanson <ac9s@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 8 May 2014 20:15:03 -0500
I am in the process of putting up 90' of Rohn 45.  Not only are there two
different bolt sizes per leg, but there each bolt/nut is a different size.  The
larger bolt requires 3/4" and 5/8" wrenches while the smaller bolt uses 9/16"
and 1/2" wrenches.  Talk about clumsy on the tower!  I don't know why one would
use anything other than Rohn supplied hardware.  It isn't that expensive - just
short of $9.00 per 6 bolt set - enough for one tower section.  The bolt package
is labeled R-45JBK.   A previous poster was correct - the 45 hardware is way
more robust than 25.  Having said that, my new tower (at a new house) is
replacing a 90' stick of 25 that was up for 34 years with no problems and lots
of wind and ice.  On a different topic - if you like excitement I snagged one
of my lower guys with the folding roll bar (ROPS) on my utility tractor.  It
damaged the guy, but no damage to the tower.  That is the big downside of
bringing guy wires all the way to the ground.  I'll replace
 the guy tomorrow, weather permitting.
KeithAC9S