Re: [TowerTalk] Replacement crank up motor

To: nv8a@charter.net, jperalta4@verizon.net
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Replacement crank up motor
From: TexasRF--- via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2014 17:37:34 -0400 (EDT)
>From personal experience, the motor failure could be as simple as insects
jamming the starting switch inside the rear end of the motor. It could also
be  due to bad starting capacitor which is easily replaced.

Once the drive belt is removed some tests can be made that will give a
hint if this is the problem. Connect a temporary AC power cord to the run
winding and plug it in to an AC outlet. Then quickly spin the motor shaft by
hand to see if the motor runs. It can be checked for both clockwise and
counter  clockwise rotation. The run winding will show a small resistance
between
terminals. The start winding will appear as an open circuit due to the
series  starting capacitor.

If the motor runs, it is virtually certain that the start winding
disconnect switch is not making proper contact or the start capacitor is bad.
At
that point, you can proceed with disassembly, inspection and repair or take it
 into a motor shop for service.

If the motor actually needs replacement, the motor shop can fix you up or
take it by a Grainger store and get some help selecting a replacement.

If you are savy, you can find a replacement on Ebay and save some $$.

In this part of the country Mud Wasps love to build nests inside electric
motors. Have repaired many motors as a result.

Hope this helps.

73,
Gerald K5GW

In a message dated 5/13/2014 2:12:26 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,