Re: [TowerTalk] Power line filter question

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Power line filter question
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2014 18:48:18 -0700
On 5/20/2014 8:23 AM, Grant Saviers wrote:

Advice?

Honda generators put out trash as a common mode signal on the green wire. It is NOT acceptable to choke the green wire, but it IS acceptable to choke all three conductors. Thus, the solution is winding turns through #31 or #43 cores, following the winding advice in my Choke Cookbook for RG8-size cables. We use Honda 2000i generators on FD and California QSO Party county expeditions, and these filters work.

Conventional power line filters do NOT suppress this noise, because the green wire goes straight through them. Yes, they do spec "common mode rejection," but their definition of common mode is the voltage between neutral and green, which is not common mode from an RF point of view.

73, Jim K9YC