Re: [TowerTalk] Power line filter question

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Power line filter question
From: Charlie Gallo <Charlie@TheGallos.com>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2014 22:49:37 -0400
On 5/20/2014 Jim Brown wrote:

> Honda generators put out trash as a common mode signal on the green
> wire. It is NOT acceptable to choke the green wire, but it IS acceptable
> to choke all three conductors.

Yeah, I noticed this first time I used it.  I made up a little pigtail
extension  cord,  and used a type 31 ferrite.  Forget the exact model,
but  it is about 2.5" long with about a 1" or so inner diameter.  Made
3-4 passes (can't remember, not going to go out and count), but I took
the  end  off  an  old  extension cord, and put a new end on.  Put the
appropriate plug on the other remaining part so I could still use that
too.   I use
that   between   the   genny and anything I need to plug in - no noise
after that

--
Charlie
www.baysidephoto.com