Re: [TowerTalk] Lifting final 25G section with mast nested within.

To: towertalk@contesting.com, hybiske1@verizon.net
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Lifting final 25G section with mast nested within.
From: K7LXC--- via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2014 11:00:36 -0400 (EDT)
>  I was wondering if anyone had any opinion on lifting the  final section
of
25G, top stub and thrust bearing installed, along with a 30  pound mast
nested within the section.  My gin pole utilizes a 12?  length of 6061-T6
aluminum,  2? diameter, 3/8 wall thickness.  The  combines weight of the
the
assembly is close to 80 lbs.  The gin pole  has been very sturdy during
individual section lifts, but I don?t know if  #80 is pushing it.

    The 25/45G ginpole is rated for 45G sections which  are 70# each so no
problem on the lift weight.

    In my experience (over 240 ham stations worked on)  the problem is more
a matter of trying to do too many things at once. The LXC  LAW OF LIFTS is
that each lift should be broken down into bite-sized  chunks so that you're
not trying to do 2 or more things at once. Examples  are lifting an antenna
with coax attached and lifting a tower section with  mast installed. In the
first case, the coax will inevitably wind up going  around something you
don't want and you might have to remove the coax to  get it where you want it.
The consequence of violating the LXC LOL is that you  typically will have to
change your plan, re-rig and try it again.

    If you pick the section and mast together, you'll  have to have the
pick point high enough so that the load won't tip  over which means that once
the section is in, you'll have to climb up the mast  to disconnect the haul
rope - a maneuver very few people can accomplish.

    GL in any case.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH -
Professional tower services for amateurs