Re: [TowerTalk] How much do trees really affect verticals

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] How much do trees really affect verticals
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2014 01:21:51 -0400
On 8/24/2014 10:22 PM, k9kl wrote:

I only can reply in generalities. I'm sure there are others much more knowledgeable than I, at least I sure hope so.

It all depends. Time of year, frequency, distance to the trees, and height of the trees. 75/80 should be less affected than the higher bands. At 40 to 50 feet I've not "noticed" a problem, but I have no way to compare the AV680 against the same antenna out, well in the clear. So my "looks good" might not stand up well in a head to head comparison, or it might. During Fall and winter, I'd expect the least problem (if there is one.) On 40, I worked a lot of DX, summer and winter with center fed, half wave slopers and an AV640 during a couple years of the sunspot cycle low.

With a 1 acre lot holding a house and shop along with two towers, I really don't have room to do justice to a 4 square on 75/80

As I said, I have seen no problem here. The big, tall trees are Ash. Tall, straight, and dead! Due to the Emerald Ash Borer our wood is quarantined. The bugs can kill a huge tree in a couple of weeks. Peel the bark off and it's a maze of groves. They basically cut off the sap flow. We had a row of Spruce down the north side of the yard and 7 big Ash trees. All gone, except for one dead spruce. I forgot to stipulate that lone tree near the back of the lot and they were already gone when I got home.

 73 es good luck!

Roger (K8RI)

I have been clearing some land to plant more maple trees for my sugar bush to
make maple syrup in the spring.  While I resting I thought of all the room I am
clearing for a 4 square for 75/80. There are 40 some deciduous trees on the
land which is about 150 feet by 350 feet. Prime farmland, stream bottom with
about 4-5 feet of topsoil. Its about 200 feet from my house/shack.
How much are those trees really going to affect the antennas?

Gregg K9KL

Sent from Samsung tablet

Roger (K8RI)

---