Re: [TowerTalk] How much do trees really affect verticals

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] How much do trees really affect verticals
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2014 06:09:13 -0700
On 8/25/14, 10:49 AM, RLVZ--- via TowerTalk wrote:
Hi Guys,

FWIW, I will share an actual experience where a Ground  Plane Vertical
located in dense trees worked very poorly.  One of my  favorite Field Day
antennas over the years has been a simple Hustler 5BTV  vertical elevated 10-20'
above ground level, and operated with 2 tuned  radials per band.  I've made
thousands of FD Qso's on 40-10 meters with  this arrangement and often get
real nice pileups going.   However, a few years back, my son-in-law asked me
to do FD from his QTH in  Central Illinois, which was surrounded by hundreds
of trees.  It was like  operating from within a dense forest.  The GP
Vertical performed very  poorly and operating was a miserable experience as I
found it very  difficult to makes Qso's, in fact it was more difficult to make
Qso's than  many of my QRP experiences.  That said, my daughters cooking made
up  for it!

My personal conclusion is that I love Verticals and won't be  without one
or more regardless how many Yagi's I have in the air.  But now  I'm a firm
believer that they need to be located "in the clear".  (just  as many antenna
books advise)

73, Dick- K9OM

Pin
Hi, Guys:

My understanding  is that you'd have to put a vertical radiator very close
a tree for  sap/no-sap to have any impact on the antenna's performance --
perhaps within a foot of the trunk. Having said that, I know of several
hams
who did very well with "disguised, stealth" vertical wires run right  up
alongside the trunks of substantial pine trees. These gents worked lots  of
DX with such setups. Of course, YMMV!

73 and HNY,

Dean,  N6BV
Senior Assistant Technical Editor, ARRL