Re: [TowerTalk] Cadweld vs clamps

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Cadweld vs clamps
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2014 05:34:08 -0700
On 10/23/14, 5:15 AM, Mike Reublin NF4L wrote:
My electrician (who specializes in grounding) says he hasn't used Cadwelds in
many years. He uses what he described as a wedge, which once set cannot be
loosened. I'll see what it looks like today.

73, Mike NF4L

probably something like this
http://www.te.com/us/en/industries/energy/ProductSubContents.aspx?Name=9044

There's a bolt that drives a wedge irreversibly in and then the bolt head shears off.
TE also has the SHEAR-LOK, which is similar..
http://www.te.com/us/en/industries/energy/ProductSubContents.aspx?Name=1047

If you don't like this, and want something that doesn't involve fire and flame...

There are listed compression fittings. They look like the fittings used to crimp steel cable, and you use a hydraulic or manual crimping device to clamp them on.

They're very rugged, gas tight, and don't have the fire hazard or windy day problems that the exothermic welds do. (not nearly as much fun, in other words)

http://www.burndy.com/solutions/grounding-superstore/compression-grounding