Re: [TowerTalk] Cadweld vs clamps

To: "'Jim Lux'" <jimlux@earthlink.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Cadweld vs clamps
From: "Keith Dutson" <kdutson@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2014 18:34:29 -0500
[snip]
> REPLY:
>
> First, I wouldn't worry about a few microns of corrosion, especially
> when lightning is concerned. A lightning bolt has already traveled
> thousands of feet through an insulator (air) - another thousandth of
> an inch of corrosion is nothing.

I would worry about Intermodulation from a corroded connection.  From a
lightning protection standpoint, you could have a layer of tape in
between: it will punch right through.  Static charge or induced voltages
would be a problem.
---

Thanks for pointing out the difference between lightning (plasma) and
induced voltages.  One can do just so much with lightning mitigation, and
the results in my experience have been poor.  However, management of lesser
voltages is a useful task.

73, Keith NM5G