Re: [TowerTalk] Cadweld vs clamps

To: Towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Cadweld vs clamps
From: Bill Turner <dezrat@outlook.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2014 12:43:25 -0700

On Fri, 24 Oct 2014 17:22:58 -0400, Roger wrote:

>Seeing actual clamps that can be lifted off the ground rods after a
>couple years is no old wives tale.  It was that way on our house.
>
>Corrosion even raising the contact
>resistance to a half ohm leaves little protection from lightening.

REPLY:

With all due respect, those two statements defy common sense.

First, properly tightened bolts do not come loose except perhaps with
vibration, which of course is not present here. If anything, corrosion
makes things tighter, not looser. I suspect the original clamps were
installed but never tightened at all. Simple human error. It happens.

Second, a lightning bolt cares nothing about a half ohm connection. It
has already traveled through millions of ohms of air, another half ohm
in series is nothing. And of course, when the lightning arcs through
the half ohm, ionization makes the resistance go to an even lower
value.

73, Bill W6WRT