Re: [TowerTalk] Cadweld vs clamps

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Cadweld vs clamps
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2014 21:43:56 -0400
I can't speak for anyone else, but when I was very active my equipment was never disconnected. The big problem at that time was it took too much time to disconnect things. If you heard thunder from an approaching storm, there was not enough time to safely disconnect one station safely, let alone both. However, during that period, the big tower with the TH-5 tribander @v100', 7L 6-meter C3i 29'6" boom @ 115', a stacked pair of12L 144 C3i and a stacked pair of 11L 440 C3i on a cross boom @ ~130' took 17 visually verified direct strikes with no damage. It did take a hit before the ground system was finished that IIRC cost a new computer (less than a week old, state of the art), the front end of a 2-meter rig, and a bunch of 9913 coax full of water after all the water proofing was blown off. But no damage after the ground system was in.

HOWEVER: a few weeks ago, a nearby strike (I don't know the direction or how close, but it was loud!) took out my network, router, 8 port switch and the Gigabit NIC on one computer. The OS and programs had to be reinstalled as well. With the NIC, OS and software changes, I installed a new motherboard. I'll troubleshoot the old one...some day.

The Gigabit CAT 5 network is getting replaced with dual band wireless as that wired network runs between computers in the shop and house which are on two different electrical feeds/services. With dual band they are getting reasonably fast, (not fast enough) but having to troubleshoot and completely reinstall the software on one of these monsters is far too much work even with a system image and repair disk. Those are worth their weight in gold. I've had one go flaky recently and those disks reduced the repair time to a few hours.

73

Roger (K8RI)