Re: [TowerTalk] A couple of 18HT questions

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] A couple of 18HT questions
From: "L L bahr " <pulsarxp@embarqmail.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2014 21:23:52 -0500 (EST)
I've had an 18HT for 40 years.  It's been in two locations.  The last one for
30 years.  The base fits into three thick walled aluminum pipes sunk into
concrete.  It's never failed and it's as strong as the day I installed it.
This aluminum in concrete fear is BS.  (If you must do something to squelch
your fear, wrap the aluminum pipes in fiberglass cloth and then epoxy it.
Plumbers use copper pipes in concrete all the time which has a plastic coating
on the pipe.)

I bought my tower based on a friend who had one.  He was an engineer for the
Air Force and had to move the antenna from time to time as he got relocated.
He gave me alternate concrete base installation instructions which I have
always used.  The scheme uses less concrete and is easier to construct.  Again,
it has worked flawlessly for 40 years.  What you do it dig a 2 foot square one
foot deep out of the ground.  Then you dig with a post hole digger a round hole
in the bottom of the square hole for another three feet.  Then you put some 4
foot long rebar in the hole.  I used three pieces of rebar.  I also put some
crossed rebar horizontal in the 2 foot square hole.  I then put in the three
aluminum pipes which hold the tower base and poured concrete.  It works out
great.  In all the years the tower has been installed it has not tilted or
moved at all.  The design is very stable.  I used the design it Kansas and
Southern Texas and my friend used the design in many locations a
 round the country without any hitches.  It has worked out so well I would
never consider doing it any other way.

Lee, w0vt