Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Re: RF Ground is a Myth

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Re: RF Ground is a Myth
From: bcarling@cfl.rr.com
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2015 09:40:13 -0500
Empiricism is probably my greatest strength and perhaps weakness in my survey
of concrete
possibilities. I like things that work rather than what is calculated to work.

I will probably not use or need a UFER Ground. I am not doing new construction
so that
possibility is out unless I want toi jack hammer through to some rebar. "Ain't
a-gonna do
that."

I will just be interested to see what comes up with a multimeter / ohm meter
measurement using probes or something else to come into contact with some
concrete.

I am guessing most radio amateurs still prefer copper clad steel ground rods
rather than
some kind of concrete pillar that you can't buy or install conveniently.

Wikipedia says that UFER ground is for dry areas. If the soil requires it.
These are just things
I am reading.

Also - one theme is recurrent:

"If Ufer grounding alone was enough, the manufacturers of ground rods would go
out of
business. But a Ufer ground alone it is not adequate. Few buildings, even those
under
construction today are built to take advantage of the Ufer ground. It is common
to see the
use of "Ufer grounding" in military installations, computer rooms, and other
structures with
very specific grounding specifications. It is not common in most industrial
plants, office
buildings and homes. More common today is grounding to national and local
electrical codes.
This will involve one or more driven ground rods connected (bonded) to the
neutral wire of
the electrical service entrance. The purpose of this bond is what is known as
life safety
ground. It is used for many other things but the code required life safety
ground is why it is
there to begin with."