Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Re: RF Ground is a Myth

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Re: RF Ground is a Myth
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2015 21:41:15 -0500
I'd prefer an installation a bit more secure<:-)) but "Usually" something is better than nothing <LOL> And with Lightening is a "sometimes"event that is unpredictable event. IOW Even with a "good ground system" you can not provide protection for all events. The bigger, the better, BUT you soon reach the area of diminishing returns. A relatively simple and relatively inexpensive ground system will "Probably" give you protection for a good percentage of strikes A few more will up the percentage substantially, but there is no way of predicying whether the next strike will be typical, or a super strike. Wk know they "tend" to be related to the seasons, but it's that "tend to" meaning a higher percentage of them come in spring or fall, no that "they will" happen only in spring or fall and not in summer. IOW, we are playing the odds

The first 6 years my tower was up with the elaborate ground system, it took 17 visually verified direct hits. AFAIK it has received none in the last 6 years. Why the difference? I have no idea. OTOH The first week we spent in this house, there were several, really strong thunderstorm with many, many major strikes within a couple hundred yards of our house. They were the kind that sounded like a large caliber rifle shot, and felt like someone hit the side of the house. We've had nothing like those in many years.

73

Roger (K8RI)