Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Re: RF Ground is a Myth

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Re: RF Ground is a Myth
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2015 13:41:18 -0800
On Wed,1/21/2015 1:01 PM, Patrick Greenlee wrote:
I'm confused...    (still, yet, again...)

There are recommendations to place ground rods (8 footers) 8 ft apart in a circle (octagon.) If my 14 ft apart Ufer grounds are too close together so as to act as a single point, what about the 8 ft rods 8 ft apart?

Forget about "single point" with respect to these various earth electrodes. Multiple electrodes (rods, Ufer, etc.) simply provides multiple paths in parallel to discharge a strike. Each of those paths is R + jwL, and the impedances to earth of the combination of those paths adds like any other combination of resistance and inductance, except to the extent that mutual coupling between the electrodes increases the combined impedance.

Lightning is NOT a DC event, it is an RF event, with the energy concentrated in very broad spectrum, roughly centered (on a log frequency scale) around 1 MHz (in other words, spread roughly between 50 kHz and 20 MHz). Thus, the inductance dominates the impedance. Resistance matters primarily to the extent that we would like the conductor to carry as much as possible of the strike current before it vaporizes. :)

73, Jim K9YC