Re: [TowerTalk] Beverage Antenna

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Beverage Antenna
From: "Earl Morse" <kz8e@wt.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2015 10:03:19 -0800
Hans,

My experience with the Beverage is limited but that probably puts me ahead of
about 99% of the ham population who have never built one.

I built a set of NE/NW one wavelength Beverages for XA5T when we used to
contest there.  These were single support antennas anchored by a ground rod at
the feed point and another at the termination.  The wire was aluminum electric
fence wire (17 gauge Fido Shock) because it was cheap and didn't have to be
durable since we laid the antenna out before the contest and rolled them back
up after the contest to use again the next year.   The hardest part was hacking
through the brush and cactus to get them strung up.  I used a fiber glass
support (3 sections of military camoflage net support) for the center post.
The ground rods at the termination and feed point provided the end anchors.

Performance was good.  I used a single balun and fed both antennas at the same
point, allowing me to switch between them with only one run of coax back to the
shack.  They were directive and it was easy to switch between NE and NW making
the W1s go away and the W7s pop up.  With this directivity and the supposed
cardioid pattern I believe the big advantage was increased S/N by eliminating
noise in one direction while maintaining signal from the desired direction.
They were one wavelength on 160M but we used them with success on 80 and 40 as
well.

Once you get the initial antenna up, whether it be a wavelength of wire laying
on the ground or a single support model like I built, you will have to more
than double your efforts to get a readily noticeable improvement in the
performance of the antenna.  You might just want to try the simplest design and
see how it works before improving on it with enhanced terminations, multiwires,
and beefed up ground systems.

Earl
N8SS

Message: 3