Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna choices

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna choices
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2015 10:23:33 -0400
The gain of a LPDA should be mostly consistent across its designed frequency
of operation.  If it's not, then there's a design error.   So, I would
expect one gain figure +/- some amount of variation in dB across the design
spectrum.

Assuming L.B. Cebik's  set of LPDA formulas are more accurate than what had
been used between 1960-2000, then this on-line calculator may be of
interest:

http://hamwaves.com/lpda/en/

I recently purchased a Tennadyne T14-HD.  It was not purchased for its
published gain figure.  Run through Cebik's formula and to achieve 8.5 dBd
(or 10.65 dBi) in free space from 30m-10m, you'll see a surprising result
when using optimum sigma and tau values.

If the AutoEZ interface to EZNec can easily generate an accurate LPDA model,
it would be worth validating against Cebik's work, although I have to
believe he cross-checked his own math with NEC since he was well known for
his NEC analysis.

Paul, W9AC