Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna choices

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna choices
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Apr 2015 08:23:39 -0700

I can understand your concern about claiming a single gain spec for a wide range of frequencies, but the ONLY practical gain spec for a real world antenna is to spec it at a specific frequency ... and ... at some specific height about ground, and of course flat ground is assumed. There is nothing "specmanship" about identifying the height used in the claim. Anyone who doesn't understand that terrain profile affects the pattern probably shouldn't be spending that kind of money on an antenna.

Optibeam specs both frequency and height for each band, and will provide EZNEC+ plots upon request. For what it may be worth, I own two Optibeam antennas and found both the SWR curves and the azimuth pattern ... measured with the help of a line-of-sight ham (K9RX when he still lived in Arizona) about 30 miles away ... to be dead on the plots I was given for both antennas. I had no way, of course, to measure absolute gain or elevation pattern. I even generated my own EZNEC+ files based purely on the element dimensions and essentially replicated the plots I had been sent.

Dave   AB7E