Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna choices

To: Paul Christensen <w9ac@arrl.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna choices
From: Kelly Taylor <ve4xt@mymts.net>
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2015 12:46:57 -0500
Hi all,

A few questions:

1. I'm not disputing the quality of the Optibeam, but for comparisons, a JK
Tribander, at least when details were last available on the JK site, was
less than $1k. It looks built like the proverbial brick you-know-what, has
two elements on 20 and 15 and four on 10. The OB-7-3 is about $1,200
(according to the estimator formula at Array Solutions), has two elements on
20 and 15 and three on 10.

Is it really $200 better than a JK? For about the same money as the OB-7-3,
from JK you can get the Navassa5 and add gain on 17 and 12. For an extra
$80, you can add a two-element 6m to the Navassa5.

2. The Navassa5 is about $1,200 with 6m added. The F12 XR6 (same band
coverage, same element count) is $1,695. Is the XR6 really $400 better? The
folks with JK antennas rave about the build quality, so, is the latest
incarnation of F12 THAT much better at using NEC4 than W3JK?

I'm not criticizing anything. Just pointing out some facts and asking
questions.

73, kelly
ve4xt