Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Re: 90 degree coax bend atop a crankup tower

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Re: 90 degree coax bend atop a crankup tower
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sat, 06 Jun 2015 21:43:13 -0400
There are fairly deep cuts in the concrete, but the whole thing is full of1/4" steel mesh.

The whole works needs to be resurfaced as it was poured on a 90 deg plus day with not a cloud in sight. They used too much water to keep it from setting up too soon. Even with keeping it wet, the whole surface was spalling badly. within a year. To resurface it is almost as expensive as redoing the entire apron. I have several diamond blades for the saws along with a heavy duty industrial, worm gear drive saw. Unfortunately, neither my leg or back will permit working in a kneeling position for more than a few minutes.

The point where the concrete abuts against the garage floor does need to be cut with an expansion joint (foam or 2 part Silastic) expansion joint inserted. Cutting a close as possible while maintaining a straight cut will remove a strip about 3" wide. That would be doable and allow the installation of a ground "ring" around the house. The electrical ground and service entrance and the station SPG would still be on opposite sides of the house.

If the leg and arm were useful, I'd rent a grinder and resurface the apron with the liquid used to get a flat, lever surface. It would give us a really nice surface on the apron that would need some sort of additive to keep it from becoming too slippery. The cost would be between $3,000 and $4,000 just for the apron. The big expansion joint and extra 100' of bare #2, plus the extra ground rods and CadWelds with labor would probably be another $1,000 or more. So that puts us at roughly another $5,000 (give or take) to add a ground ring and fix the apron.

"I think" I may start a cut across the front of the garage. It might take me the entire summer to make the one cut, but it'd solve several problems.It would also join the current ground system close to mid point eith the distance from the 45G to the entrance ground about the same as from the tower to the station SPG.. Then, I'm not sure the budget will stand more than getting around the N end of the garage and to the entrance. The rest of the ground ring and resurfacing might have to wait. Just too many expensive projects going on at one time. including the replacement of about 7 large N2 filled tripane windows. We recently had to dig up the weep tile around half the house and reinforce the basement walls as well as some major roof work (due to a poor job done in the past) and replacing the 100' 45G with a major, crank up and tilt over tower.

Good thing I quit flying and sold the airplane.  <:-))
Still...this would have been a lot easier when I was still working <LOL> but hind sight works so much better than foresight.

73

Roger (K8RI)