Re: [TowerTalk] 90 degree coax bend atop a crankup tower

To: ve4xt@mymts.net, "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 90 degree coax bend atop a crankup tower
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Fri, 05 Jun 2015 07:38:14 -0700
On 6/5/2015 4:32 AM, ve4xt@mymts.net wrote:
Wouldn't holding the coax with a sling-type grip in such a way that the bend
itself is a tension-free loop, solve both problems?

The issue in both cases is the unsupported weight of the coax pulling on the
bend, yes? So if you took all the weight off the bend...

Or am I missing something?

73, Kelly
ve4xt

As I posted previously, I hang 106 feet of 7/8 inch coax
from a Kellems grip.  The end of it points straight
up vertically and has a 90 degree N elbow on it that
connects to smaller coax to the antenna.  There is
a total of 150 feet of the large coax in order to
get into the shack.

With this setup, I found that the center conductor pulled
itself back from the connector in shack.  This is the
opposite of what you would think, which would be that
the center conductor at the top of the run would pull
out.  Go figure.  I have to remove the shack connector
and trim back about 3/8 of an inch of dielectric and
then reattach it.

Rick N6RK