Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn Bolts AND nuts - won't mate

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn Bolts AND nuts - won't mate
From: "john@kk9a.com" <john@kk9a.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2016 06:52:24 -0500
Those are pal nuts

John KK9A

To:     towertalk@contesting.com
From:   "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date:   Tue, 26 Jan 2016 05:36:56 -0500

My 45G purchased around 2000 ( probably made around 98) used lock nuts on
all bolts. Even on the guy brackets, but they were made from a relatively
thin, stamped steel. They were cup shaped about an 1/8th of an inch
deep.IIRC they had 3 threads and as you tightened them it pulled the face
down adding a locking feature. They worked quite well. That tower was a
closeout for Michigan Radio. Everything came with the tower. Nuts, bolts,
locking nuts, and guy brackets. Tower bolts were as usual, packed in bags
in the tower legs. The other came in attached bags.

I do not like the dimpled nuts. I have some boxes of them for 8 and 10-32.
Maybe some 1/4" I much prefer the stamped locking nuts. I believe he
dimpled nuts are a poor match for galvanized bolts. Again, I believe they
are pretty much a one-shot use.

73

Roger (K8RI)