Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Rohn Bolts AND nuts - won't mate

To: StellarCAT <rxdesign@ssvecnet.com>, tower <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Rohn Bolts AND nuts - won't mate
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2016 07:59:29 -0800
I think Rohn has an interesting challenge for hollow leg fasteners. They can't be tightened to the usual torque value for that size & grade bolt since that would collapse the tubing too much. I was going to suggest Nord-Lock locking washers which I used on my Rohn 65 legs. R65 flange bolts can be tightened to the 5/8" A325 bolts torque spec (~100 ft-lbs) and thus the Nord -Lock grips the nut surface. I doubt that could happen with hollow legs without leg damage. see the test video http://www.nord-lock.com/bolted/watch-the-new-junker-test-video-here/

There are several varieties of nuts with the dimples to distort the threads. The bolt-nut pair with the distorted threads is a one time use assembly as the intent is to damage the threads so they don't easily come apart. If there is too much Zn in the nut threads, that is a quality issue. Last time I saw real Rohn bolts they were grade 8, so check the torque tables vs the bolt head stamp on your bolts and use that torque for assembly with a torque wrench, not an impact wrench.

Whether locking fasteners are really needed is probably debatable in light of all the towers still standing assembled without them. However, lawyers and code bureaucrats help make us totally safe.

Grant KZ1W