[TowerTalk] Finally got my crank up tilt over

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Finally got my crank up tilt over
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2016 09:18:35 -0800
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2016 07:58:53 -0800
From: dw <bw_dw@fastmail.fm>
To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Finally got my crank up tilt over

Whats a common selling price for a used crank up or tilt over tower?

## go to UST or a dealer, then look at new prices..for a reference point.
Watch out, there are several versions for the same height.
EG:   UST makes a HDX-489..and also a HDX-589...and also a HDX-689.
All are 89 foot tall, but the 489 ends with a #4 top section, the  589  ends up
 with a
#5  top section...and the 689 ends up with a #6  top section.
The 689 has both a bigger top section..and also a bigger bottom section.   The
489
has a smaller top and bottom section.    The bigger sectioned towers also weigh
more, cost more,
and also have a higher wind load capacity..and also require more concrete. And
none of the 3
I just mentioned can be manually operated, they all come with motorized
ability.

##  figure out how high you want to go...and how much weight and windload.  If
adding any amount of
mast on top of the tower, the wind load capacity will  decrease.   Think of it
as a giant torque wrench.
Also plan for any future upgrades, like a taller mast, 40m yagi,  bigger yagis
etc.

##  The motorized towers are fast to bring down.... prior to any windstorm
event.   Then plan on if
a high wind comes along...and  / or ice loading....and its in the UP position.

##  View it as a one shot deal, then do it right the 1st time.   Also factor in
shipping costs etc.

Jim   VE7RF