Re: [TowerTalk] Finally got my crank up tilt over

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Finally got my crank up tilt over
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2016 21:21:11 -0500
I paid three grand for the LM470 crank up, tilt over with a raising fixture, BUT I had a chance to inspect it on site. Whether the price was high or low, at 1.5 miles and a willing contractor to remove and haul it in his spare time was worth a good thousand dollars, or more The tower was in good shape, apparently with little use and only about a mile and a half from me. OTOH it was missing a few things.

The "problem" which I had seen, was they had built onto the house after the tower was installed and the raising fixture could no longer be used to lower the tower. OTOH it could be tilted over with a flat side down. My contractor had a good size tilt bed double axle.trailer that would easily handle the 1300# and length. He also had a good size fork lift with big tires. Those big tires saved the day! The forks were wide and on a heavy bar that let him align them with the flat metal bands on the bottom section.We also put 2 X 10s under the side rail for more than the width of the forks to prevent any bending We had a LOT of rain and although that back yard was sandy, it was soft. Even those big tires sunk in, but he was able to lift the tower enough to clear the tilt fixture by less than 2 inches. He told me later that he thought if he had to reposition one more time he wouldn't have been able to clear the base.

That would have meant a crane that could ave lifted the entire tower, base, and raising fixture as one, BUT the house was 100 yards from the road with a very soft front yard. It's doubtful they could have gotten a crane close enough to make the lift and would have completely ruined the front yard He loaded it on the trailer and brought it here where we laid it on blocks. I think he charged me $100 for the whole works.Weather and health conspired to make it over a year before the tower was up. The bank owned the property with a sale closing just a few days away, they wanted that tower out of there.

So Make sure you can inspect the tower before committing to any thing. Crank-ups are far more vulnerable than the old self supporting, or guyed towers. There are pulleys, cables, winches, motors, control boxes, wiring, and limit switches, not to forget that a small bend or broken piece can render the whole thing inoperable Then, don't forget to read the specs for the tower. Will it lift and hold what you want it to with a bit of capacity to spare.?

Grant makes some very good points.

BTW One of those BIG trailers would be unlikely to make it down the street. Big stuff, like heavy machine tools that come freight, I have delivered to the local airport with prior approval. The really big stuff like my old Bridgeport mill get delivered to a local freight depot where they transfer the cargo to a big tilt bed truck that can make it all the way to the big shop door. I don't remember the cost from the yard in Detroit, but it wasn't much as it was piggy backed on a load of new equipment coming this way. IIRC The local Depot charged me $80, but due to a bad experience they refuse to haul towers. They refused to explain beyond "bad experience".

Often Fairly big, new towers are delivered in two stages like that so it pays to check and know your options. Prices, like used tower vary a lot. If you catch them at a slack time, in a good mood, after a hassle with a difficult customer, or how diplomatically you explain the special handling requirements. Many take offense at a customer telling them how to do something.

73,

Roger (K8RI)