[TowerTalk] US Tower gearbox

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] US Tower gearbox
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2016 11:12:59 -0700
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2016 09:17:20 -0700
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
To: Jim Thomson <jim.thom@telus.net>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] US Tower gearbox

On 9/8/2016 8:00 AM, Jim Thomson wrote:

> ##  Whoa.   There are  THREE plugs, one on the bottom, one on the top, and one
> on the side,  close to the top.  Remove the top and side plugs..and fill till
> the oil
> comes out the side plug, then install  both side and top plugs.

How are you defining "top" vs "bottom"?  On my HDX-5106, the gear
box appears to be mounted "upside down:  The name plate
printing reads upside down and the embossed "Hub City"
on one of the surfaces reads upside down.  This is the
way UST engineered it.  IMHO, UST installed it correctly
irregardless of the orientation of the text.  I don't
think it would make sense to mount it with the text upright.

Having said that, on my tower, such as it is, there are two plugs
near the surface of the hub city box that faces the ground.  These
are at about the same level, like I could use either one to drain.
There would be a couple of inches of oil remaining to be sucked
out.  One is easily accessible and the other would require
removing the safety guard over the chain.  The third plug is
just about midway between top and bottom, however those terms are
defined.

When Skip changed the oil for me 4 years ago, I believe he filled
through the 3rd hole and just put in oil until it dripped out through
this hole.

In order for my gearbox to meet the description of the plugs
you gave, it would have to be mounted so the text is "vertical"
and the shafts are vertical instead of horizontal.  Vertical shafts
would totally not work on this tower.

Any comments?

Rick N6RK

##  U are dead on  correct.  Brain dead senior moment on my part.
Mine is exactly as u described.

Jim  VE7RF