Re: [TowerTalk] Guy Tensioning

To: "steve@nr4m.com" <steve@nr4m.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Guy Tensioning
From: Donald Chester <k4kyv@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2016 17:07:13 +0000
> Steve NR4M <steve@nr4m.com>  wrote:

> I have often thought of doing just what you have done, which is a 'must'
> if you want to use a Loos gauge with confidence.  My problem is that I
> didn't have any sort of strain gauge to throw into the mix.

You don't need an additional strain gauge; the Loos will do it all.  Just
attach a short piece of the recommended wire rope end-on-end to a piece of EHS,
and  string the whole thing between two trees or other fixed objects, attached
at one end through the turnbuckle and come-along.  Bring up some tension  with
the come-along and then, snap the Loos gauge across the wire rope to determine
the tension on the line, then without touching the turnbuckle or the
come-along, or anything else that might change the tension, move the Loos gauge
over to the EHS section and take another reading, then record the tension you
measured on the wire rope and the reading you get with the gauge on the EHS.
Adjust the tension in steps using the come-along and turnbuckle, and repeat the
procedure at each step and that way you can produce a correct chart for use
with EHS. At each step you will notice that the two readings will be far
different, but each will be a correct reading for for the type of
  cable the gauge is clamped onto.

73,

Don k4kyv