[TowerTalk] US Tower price increase

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] US Tower price increase
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2017 22:13:42 -0800
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2017 12:09:39 -0500
From: K2CB <k2cb@comcast.net>
To: towertalk@contesting.com

Just happened to be browsing the HRO website yesterday, and noticed that the
pricing on all US Tower models tripled overnight!

For example, the HDX-589MDPL was $13,000 last month.  As of yesterday the price
is now just under $32,000!  Same dramatic increase across the product line.

Is anyone privy as to what warranted the dramatic price increase in what seems
like overnight?

I don't believe the raw materials or labor rate skyrocketed that quickly.

Eric
K2CB

##  The  HDX-589MDPL   USED to be $9800.00 a few yrs back.  The  HDX-689  was
aprx $16K..and the  HDX-5106  was  aprx $19K.

##  silly part is.... a crank up is just sections inside of sections.... but
with a plate welded on, to handle the pulleys, then a V guide welded to each
leg, etc, then the winch-drum assy- motor etc.

##  did rohn   prices  triple overnight.... dont think so.  UST has been making
the same series of towers etc, for years now, so they already had the jigs and
assy down pat.  Its not like they
had to re-tool the factory.   Fabricating tower sections is not rocket
science.... and crank ups  differ only in that they use multiple size sections.
  Heck, the section ends dont require anything at all,
since they are not bolted nose to tail like Rohn 45-55  etc.

##  Local ham across town built over a dozen  hb crank ups, all 100 ft tall,
during the 70s.   I saw all his templates and jigs to keep the legs straight,
while the zig-zag pieces were welded into place.

##  The  HDX-589MDPL isnt even a heavy duty tower.   UST has just succeeded in
putting themselves outa business.  Other than being able to extend or nest the
crank up tower, the next best thing
would be a free standing self support tower, and there are plenty of those
available, that will easily handle any windload  you can envision...and at no
where near the old UST pricing.  I can see tashis
business increasing..or even new players coming into the market.

Jim   VE7RF