[TowerTalk] Rohn U-bolts

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rohn U-bolts
From: "Zivney, Terry" <00tlzivney@bsu.edu>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2017 21:51:16 +0000
I needed some replacement u-bolts for my Rohn 45 rotor shelf,
as I had misplaced the original ones  while the shelf was in
storage the past 10 years.  These are the Rohn JR51A, which Hill
Radio shows a price of $3.70 each.  I needed them quickly,
so found that I could get similar, hot-dipped galvanized made-in-USA
u-bolts in one day from Grainger. These are 5/16 inch by 1 1/2 inch
opening and 2 5/8 inch, just like the original Rohn.
Grainger item 20W491 cost $20.69 for a set of 10 u-bolts and nuts. As
soon as I got back home today with the new u-bolts, I found
the original ones, with a delicious chocolate patina (20 years old).

BTW, u-bolts that fit the legs for making stand-offs and sidearms,
only need a 1 3/8" opening, and can be obtained (Chinese version)
from Grainger 31KF67 10 for $8.15 (including nuts) for the hot-dipped
galvanized items, cheaper than the plated ones from your local
hardware store. I have used 30 so far and am happy with them.

Terry N4TZ