Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn U-bolts

To: Rob Atkinson <ranchorobbo@gmail.com>, towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn U-bolts
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2017 11:43:17 -0700
Zinc corrodes about 1/30 the rate of steel per year when exposed outdoors. Add salt to the air and erosion is much faster. Zn is also sacrificial relative to iron so small scratches in the coating has the steel still protected.

There are two principal forms of zinc on steel - electroplating and hot dip.

Electroplating is cheap and fast and thin enough the steel as plated dimensions change very little. It is usually 0.0002" for spec'ed fasteners, probably less from hardware store stuff from China, and will protect the steel outside for a year or two.

Hot dip is usually specified around 0.005" thick so lasts about 25 times as long. Parts are cleaned, fluxed and dipped in a molten Zn bath. Just like soldering. The Zn is thick enough that bolts and nuts need to be sized differently to fit together. Also, holes tend to get Zn droplets inside when hoisted from the molten Zn kettle, so may need filed or reamed for bolts to fit. The design of the parts to be HDG has to consider they will be immersed in molten Zn above 800 deg F.

Ace Galvanizing in South Seattle had a minimum charge of $125, or $1.25 per pound of steel, whichever is larger, when last I was there a year ago. Great folks, easy to work with but a very busy place with many tons dipped per day.

Grant KZ1W