Re: [TowerTalk] Turnbuckles with Rod Sides

To: Tonno Vahk <tonno.vahk@gmail.com>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Turnbuckles with Rod Sides
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2017 10:24:22 -0700
Tonno,

Glad to hear your beautiful tower is ok!

I did a little reading investigation about the mechanics of wire rope clip spacing and found it is pretty complicated. The basic idea is to have the clips more or less share the load forces. With the clips far apart there is slack between them that makes the up the guy ones less or even not effective.

The close spacing to the thimble is desired so the thimble can not be upset from side or reversing forces that would cause the wire to jump out of the groove. Additionally, for guys a heavier gauge steel is used in the thimble so it does not deform on the pin. Having the right diameter pin inside the thimble also reduces the stress on the thimble. It is also possible to get thimbles with a cage near the jaw end that prevents the wire from twisting out. Wire rope is specified for a minimum bend radius since the outer fibers in a bend have more stress. This is very important when repeatedly going over sheaves, less so for once in a thimble, but correct size strong thimbles are important to reduce that stress differential.

Each size clip and wire rope type has a recommended tightening torque so a torque wrench is strongly advised for tightening and not over tightening. I've also found it is best to re-torque after a day or two as the stresses in the wire and clip redistribute. It is hard to hold the saddle when tightening so as to not over bend the wire. Even with everything done to "spec" most clip terminations won't hold to the wire rope breaking strength. Hence, other terminating systems are much more common for cables made to size. Most common are swaged fittings such as used on sailboat rigging and some tapered sockets when the termination must be done in the field.

A lot of data is in the Crosby catalog for all sorts of terminations and rigging. In the US they are pretty much recognized as the gold standard of rigging quality. Their prices are equal to their reputation, but considering the small extra cost versus what a tower system like yours costs, their stuff is very cheap insurance monetarily and for life safety. No affiliation, I'm just a happy customer.

The Crosby catalog https://www.thecrosbygroup.com/catalog/

The Crosby Wire Rope Terminations User's Manual https://www.thecrosbygroup.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/9992320_Termination_Manual_With_Cover_LoRes.pdf (The clip info is near the end.)

I hope this is helpful,

Grant KZ1W