Re: [TowerTalk] 80 Meter yagi question

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 80 Meter yagi question
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2017 10:17:37 -0700
On 10/8/2017 12:18 PM, john nistico wrote:
I am thinking of adding a rotatable 80 meter yagi on one tower. Any suggestions?

Hi John,

As the first part of your thinking about this, I strongly suggest that you study my applications note on this topic. The most important conclusion is that height of a horizontally polarized antenna is VERY important on 80M. Figuring out a way to get a simple dipole (or pair of dipoles) HIGHER is about as effective as a two-element Yagi. I've had great success with two dipoles up 130 ft or so at right angles to each other. The same physics applies whether the antennas are full size or loaded.

http://k9yc.com/AntennaPlanning.pdf

73, Jim K9YC