Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding connection to tower legs

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>, "Howard Hoyt" <hhoyt@mebtel.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding connection to tower legs
From: "AA6DX - Mark" <aa6dx@arrl.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2017 11:52:54 -0700
Copper strap, and soldered with Mapp Gas...  Mark  AA6DX  (NOT COPPER WIRE!)

-----Original Message----- From: Howard Hoyt Sent: Friday, October 13, 2017 11:23 AM To: towertalk@contesting.com Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Grounding connection to tower legs
Hi John,

The intermediate grounding kits are almost always bolted to lugs on galvanized brackets welded to the tower itself. It is likely that the grounding whips provided by Andrew in their grounding kits utilize zinc plated lugs on the far end as opposed to the more common tin plated lugs. So the interface here would be zinc plated lugs on galvanize, which have extremely similar anodic indicies. I don't see corrosion on them as a matter of course...and all grounding from the tower to the ground field is done using exothermic welding.

Howie - WA4PSC